Modules in the Certificate in Company Direction
There are four module subjects in the Certificate in Company Direction. The modules include:
- Role of the Director and Board (international) (2 days’ duration)
- Strategy for Directors (3 days’ duration)
- Finance for Directors (3 days’ duration)
- Leadership for Directors (2 days’ duration)
Benefits of the Certificate in Company Direction
The Certificate in Company Direction encompasses the core knowledge and awareness that is necessary to function effectively as a director and provides:
- An in-depth view of the role, responsibilities, and legal duties of a director
- An understanding of the characteristics of an effective board
- Sound knowledge of financial terms and concepts
- An understanding of the issues and processes associated with formulating strategic plans and demonstrating strategic leadership.
Each of the modules takes place on weekdays during working hours (09:00-17:00). Participants undertake on average approximately one module per month. In addition, reading and revision work is required following each module, and in advance of exams.
Please note: The Chartered Director Programme has two commencement points in each year, January through November, and September through June. Please note that participants join the programme as part of a cohort and complete the programme with that cohort.
At the completion of the Certificate modules, delegates will sit four multiple choice question (MCQs) exams, one on each of the four module subjects. Examinations are taken online via remote invigilation.
To progress to the next step, i.e. the Diploma in Company Direction, all applicants must successfully pass their exam for the Certificate in Company Direction.
- The IoD UK awards both the Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction under the provisions of its Royal Charter and leads to qualifications credit rated by the Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA).
- The SQA, under Scottish Government legislation, is both an accreditation body and an awarding body, providing a wide range of high quality, internationally recognised qualifications and associated services. For further information and details on awards and qualifications, visit the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework section of the SQA website.
- IoD Certificate in Company Direction: This qualification is credit rated by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and has 18 credits at Level 9 on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework. This qualification broadly compares to an award at Level 7 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.
Subject to Government guidelines and public health requirements, this programme will be delivered in a classroom setting. However, online/virtual delivery will be considered where appropriate or necessary. Where this is being delivered in a classroom setting it will take place at the Irish Management Institute (IMI), Sandyford Road, Dublin 16, which is easily accessed by the M50 and Luas. Ample free car parking is available.